Monday, December 15, 2014

I'm a Ballerina!

Isn't Mo pretty?



Little known fact about me:  I'm dance obsessed.  I still have a tiny part {okay, a big part shoved into a tiny space}, that dreams of becoming a Rockette.

Honestly, I think we all have some "silly" dream that we envision coming true, even if we don't chase it.  For me, obviously, that dream is to dance.

I danced for almost 10 years when I was growing up.  I did ballet, tap, jazz, and acro.  I picked it back up when Kaylee was 4.  I did ballet, pointe, tap, and jazz.  

When one of the teachers at Sunny and Mo's dance studio told me that they were going to start an adult ballet class I jumped on it.  From 5:30-6:30 on Tuesdays you can no find me at the dance studio.  Ballet for adults is not as strict as ballet for the younger kids.  Leotards and tights are optional.  Instead, you are allowed to wear whatever you can move comfortably in.  I normally wear leggings and a tank top {even though, there's a small part of me that wouldn't mind slipping into the traditional ballerina uniform.}

You don't have to be dance obsessed, or have danced when you were a kid to enjoy the benefits of ballet, or any style of dance for that matter.  

Health benefits

  • Boosts memory -- May help prevent you from developing dementia
  • Improve flexibility
  • Relieve stress
  • Helps get rid of depression -- Studies have shown that it reduces depression and increases vitality
  • Improves heart health
  • Weight loss
  • Better balance
  • Improves  flexibility, balance, agility and coordination
  • Strengthen and tone core muscles
  • Engages all muscles of the lower body, abs, hips, quads, glutes, hamstrings, calves, and even your feet

The benefits for children aren't much different from adults.  I have listed them below.  

Benefits in younger children
  • They learn to follow instructions;
  • They gain a sense of discipline through learning new positions and steps;
  • They learn co-ordination, balance and how to control their bodies in motion;
  • They are active and getting daily exercise;
  • They become comfortable performing before groups;
Benefits in older children

  • They develop long, lean and strong muscles from the practice of ballet
  • They gain a sense of self-confidence and pride in their bodies and what they can accomplish
  • They learn how to work to get what they want out of their performance
  • The skills learned in ballet are useful for other forms of dancing like tap or jazz if they want to take that up later
  • They learn about proper nutrition to keep their bodies in shape so they can dance
Are you a dancer?  Did you dance in the past?  What is your "silly" dream?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment