Monday, March 28, 2016

Fat free carrot cake


I made an amazing carrot cake for Easter....unfortunately I didn't get a picture.  I got a picture of every other item on our dinner table but, not the cake!  But anyway...back to the cake.  It was a perfect carrot cake.  And it was made even better by being fat free and low sugar.  

I have had people tell me before that people need fat in their diets, the fat free products are chemical bombs.  While I do agree with both statements I also believe that in general people get enough fat in the daily foods that they don't need any added fat in their desserts.  

Isn't a healthy dessert better than no dessert at all?  I think so.  If I didn't eat fat free desserts, I'd never eat desserts.  I didn't get the name The Fat Free Queen, for nothin'!  I can turn anything almost anything fat free.  

Before Easter I had never actually made a carrot cake before.   I might have made it once from a box mix but, other than that I had never made it.  I'm really surprised it turned out so well.  I had to replace 1 cup of oil.  Yup!  A regular carrot cake is made with a whole cup of oil.  I honestly can't understand why.  You'll never miss it.  By omitting the oil I saved over 1,900 calories and 200 grams of fat from the cake.   I have posted the nutritionals under the recipe.  

The one part of the cake that didn't work as planned is the cream cheese frosting.  It came out more of a glaze.  It still tasted amazing though.  I dipped my cake in it and ate it that way.  



Fat Free Carrot Cake
Adapted From:  Sprinkle Some Sugar

Ingredients
3 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup light brown sugar 
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tbs cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
1 cup applesauce
5 egg whites (or the equivelent of 5 eggs worth of egg substitute)
1 tbs vanilla
2 cups finely grated carrots


3/4 cup raisins

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 2 9 inch pans.
    2. Put all dry ingredients into a bowl (flour, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves,ginger)
    3. In a separate bowl place all wet ingredients (applesauce, egg whites, carrots, raisins)
    4. Bake for 25-45 minutes
    5. Let cool completely
Calories -- 430
Fat -- 0.7 g
Sodium -- 366 mg
Potassium -- 406 mg
Carbs -- 100 g
Fiber -- 3.6 g
Sugar -- 58.2 g
Protein -- 7.9 g

Fat Free Cream Cheese Frosting Glaze
2 8 oz containers fat free cream cheese
1 cup fat free Greek yogurt
Small bag of powdered sugar



  1. Place cream cheese and yogurt in a stand mixer
  2. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until desired sweetness
  3. Place in fridge until chilled and thickened

Have you ever tried to alter a recipe?  Did it work?  Did it fail? Let me know below!


No comments:

Post a Comment