Friday, May 2, 2014

The Burger Breakdown

Normally my coach has me on very strict macros.  Macros is short for macronutrients.  Those are fat, protein and carbs.  One day a week he tells me I HAVE to eat a burger and fries.  Well, obviously, I don't eat regular burgers and fries.

My burger?  Obviously not beef.  It's a double decker veggie burger with fat free cheese.

My fries?  Obviously not deep fried crunchy goodness.  I make myself a baked sweet potato.'

I'm not going to lie.  I occasionally use ketchup on my burger.  Normally I just top my burger with mustard.  {Mustard=0 carb goodness} 

For the bread I use the SandwichThins.  So, as you can see, I can turn something that is normally ridiculously UNhealthy into something fairly healthy.  My other blog isn't named the Fat Free Queen for nothin'!
Photo courtesy of:  123RF.com

Let's break a burger down piece by piece and I'll show you how to healthify it!

Bread -- normally people use buns that are VERY high carb
Whole wheat sandwichthins
Low carb bread (I use Sara Lee 45 calorie)
Lettuce 

Protein -- Here's where you can kind start to go wild
Veggie burgers (either store bought or homemade)
Fish (a nice thick chunk about burger size)
Portobello mushroom (grilled or broiled about 5-7minutes each side)

Toppings -- This is where you can REALLY go wild
Tomatoes
onions
lettuce
avocados
mushrooms
The sky's the limit!

Condiments -- Use these sparinly.  Condiments are normally filled with carbs and sugar
Mustard (0 carb goodness, like I said)
Salsa (low carb)
Ketchup
Barbecue sauce
Guacamole

What other ways can you think to healthify a burger?

No comments:

Post a Comment