Sunday, March 22, 2015

Lovely Leftovers

The other day I looked in my fridge and realized that I had a bajillion leftovers.  I had reheated them all a couple times and I assumed that the kids were getting tired of having the same things for dinner.

Kaylee is a huge soup fan.  Like seriously, she could eat a different soup (or stew, or chili) every nite.  She never gets tired of soup.  So, when I saw I these leftovers I realized that they would be great in a soup.

You can honestly use whatever leftovers you have.  As long as you have at least 1 complex carb, 1 veggie and a protein.  Here's a quick list of possibilities:

Complex Carb
Rice (white, brown or wild)
Potatoes (white, purple, sweet)
Quinoa
Couscous
Beans

Veggies
Carrots
Mushrooms
Onions
Celery
Corn
Peas
Green Beans

Protein
Chicken
Shrimp
Fish
Ground meat (beef, turkey, chicken, buffalo)
Turkey

My soup was made for the kids so, it was rice, chicken (I took the skin off fried chicken and used the meat), mixed vegetables and carrots.  If I was making it for myself I probably would have used the shrimp from  THIS recipe or THIS recipe.

The Recipe Redux theme this month is " Two for One", cooking once and eating twice.  So, my Chicken Rice Soup is the perfect fit for today.



CHICKEN RICE SOUP
Serves 4-6 







Ingredients
12 cups stock (I used vegetable but you can use any kind)
1 onion, diced (omit if using it in your veggies)
3 cups leftover carbs
3 cups leftover protein
3 cups leftover vegetables

Directions
  1. Saute onion.
  2. Add stock and bring to a boil.
  3. Put in all your leftovers
  4. Bring back to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until everything is hot.

So freakin' simple!!!  Just boil and dump.  It's quick, too!  From start to finish this recipe takes under 45 minutes.  It's great for a nite when you need a meal that is quick and hearty.  It's also good after a holiday.  

Easter:  Ham, peas, and rice
Thanksgiving: Turkey, sweet potatoes, and green beans
Christmas: Ham, potatoes, and corn

How does you family feel about soup?  Love it?  Hate it?  How do you use leftovers in a unique way?  Let me know!








No comments:

Post a Comment